Description:Packt Publishing Pvt. Ltd. Packt is a fast growing international ITbook publishing companybased in Birmingham, UK and Mumbai, India. We are at the cutting edge ofinnovationin publishing with a unique strategy of publishing highly focused books on new and ground breaking technologies. Walk-in interviews for Technical Editors for a I.T Publishing House Packt Publishing is an international IT book publishing company based in Birmingham, UK, and Mumbai, India. We specialize in publishing focused books on specific technologies and solutions and are looking for a full-time Technical Editor to be based in our Mumbai office. The Technical Editor will be responsible for checking the technical accuracy as well as the grammar and language aspects of all chapters in a book and ensuring that the books have international quality.
The Technical Editor should look into the quality of the book in terms of structure, content, tone, audience, pedagogy, mechanics, formatting, consistency, and code. In a nutshell, the Technical Editor functions as both a reader advocate and an author coach. He or she should make sure that the information is accessible to the intended audience, and at the same time direct the authors and help them reach their highest potential.
Please Visit us at www.packtpub.com for the kinds of products that we put out and also to see how we compare with some of the established players of the game.
Tasks and Responsibilities:• When editing a book, ensure that the author presents the material in a way that benefits the reader.
• Ensure that all the chapters in the book clearly communicate their goals to the reader.
• Ensure consistent approach to material in all areas of the manuscript.
• Verify that content coverage is thorough and balanced and ensure technical accuracy of the content.
• Use valuable resources to make a determination about the content yourself
• If any part of the text isn't clear, query the author. It may be that the reader will understand the reference, and the author will tell you so if that is the case. However, the author may be leaving out important information.
• Check and verify all facts, references and illustrations for accuracy and ensure it matches the text and is appropriate
• Ensure that every text and non-text element is correct.
• Check the code given in the book. Step through all the processes that the author(s) discuss in the chapter in the same order. Confirm that you are able to duplicate all the instructions given by the author(s) without any problems or errors. Flag any issue that occurs and bring it to the notice of the Development Editor and the author.
• Apply the Packt styles to the chapters and ensure the formatting is as per the Packt style sheet.
• Check and correct word usage, clarify sentence structure, etc.
• Tackle issues such as traditional grammar, punctuation, house style, and spelling check and ensure the language and grammar aspects are perfect in the chapter
• Participate in the editorial co-ordination with Development Editor, author, translator and Editorial Manager.
• Ensure the work meets market and audience goals.
Required Technical Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
• A degree in sciences, math, computers or other related field.
• Excellent written and spoken English language skills.
• Knowledge and experience with Windows operating system and standard Windows applications.
• Ability to grasp the gist of new technologies and apply the knowledge while editing books of those technologies.
Preferred Technical Skills:
• Technology savvy.
• Knowledge of Linux and Open Source technologies (but not necessary).
Required Personal Skills:
• Very Good communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team.
• Ability to work unsupervised, on own initiative.
• Ability for self learning.
• Ability to meet deadlines.
• Eye for detail.
• Very good organizational skills.
If you are interested in the above mentioned job profile you can walk in for an interview on the 13th - 22nd of July 2011 between 9am to 2pm. Please carry a copy of your Resume along with you.
There will be no interviews conducted on a Saturday and Sunday.